Friday, October 28, 2011

Microsoft Receiver Turns PC into Next Generation Console

I recently picked up a Microsoft wireless receiver for Windows through Amazon.com.  This little gadget attaches to your computer via standard USB port and allows wireless Xbox 360 controllers to be used with PC games.  The controller works best with games that have gamepad support, but with 3rd party software it can be mapped to work with any game.  The receiver works just like the Xbox in that it allows for up to 4 controllers to be connected at once.  It will also work with your headset.

Currently Microsoft is no longer selling the receiver as a standalone product.  It is now packaged with a wireless controller and sold for around $60.00.  Unfortunately, this package is nearly impossible to find in stores.  The product I received was obviously removed from that package and sold to me at quite a markup.  However, considering I paid $20.00 and have no need for another controller, I was happy with that deal.  More so I was happy to receive an official Microsoft product and not a knockoff.

The receiver works flawlessly.  It included the installation disk and installing it on my computer was a breeze.  Syncing a Xbox 360 controller with it in the same room as a Xbox 360 is difficult.  I had to unplug my Xbox and then I had no problems.  There are many common complaints with this product that I have not experienced.  I have had no issues with connectivity while playing within 20 ft of the receiver.  There are reports that the receiver draws a lot of power and doesn't work if other USB devices are also attached.  For me, the receiver worked fine, but I don't have high powered USB devices attached to my PC.  Also due to the high power there are reports of the receiver to stop working or the possibly the USB port to become damaged.  I have not had this long enough to comment on that really as I've only been using mine for about 2 weeks.

In addition to picking up the Microsoft receiver, I also got myself a HDMI wire to allow me to conect my PC to the living room TV.  My laptop has become an overpowered Xbox now!  Hooking it up is more work than using the Xbox, but once I'm in a game there is no difference except for superior graphics.  It's really nice to play PC games relaxing in the recliner with a gamepad!  If you are an avid PC gamer but prefer a gamepad, I highly recommend this setup.




No comments:

Post a Comment